Thursday, January 20, 2011

International Day of Acceptance

Lately,  when I write or talk about disabilities I only look at the negative aspects. The fears and the unpredictabilities. I often focus on this archaic belief that everybody in the world is evil, and everybody wants to point at my children with laughter or pity. 

Usually, when I think about my children's futures it's full of struggle and this bleak thought that we're in for a constant fight with people, things, situations and emotions. While I'm sure this will prove true at times, I'm not so jaded that I can't see that I'm probably wrong. Again. 

Today my family is celebrating the International Day of Acceptance. To me, this is a day to celebrate diversity, not be afraid of it. A day to reflect on the good in people and the medical and social advances that have willfully and lawfully been set in place for people with disabilities. People like Roman. People you think about when you read my blog. THOSE people. Respect is not just a word they'll hear in their lifetime. It's a word they'll know firsthand in their lifetime. 

Simply put, the idea of the International Day of Acceptance is just to...love. Love each other. Love yourself. How can you go wrong with that? 
To learn more about the IDOA visit my friend Stevie at www.dayofacceptance.com 
While there pick up some sweet 3E swag! Today I'll be wearing my pins, stickers and silly bands! And if you think these things aren't adorable check this out..

Yep. Adorable!
3E is a company that I tripped over in my daily facebook stalking regimen. Boy, am I glad I was stalkin` that day! I LOVE this company, I love the symbol, I love what they are doing. It's an amazing organization and I'm so happy to have found them. 
For those wondering, 3E is an idea that challenges us to Embrace diversity. Educate your community. Empower Each Other. 
Love life. 
Today, I'll be wearing my heart on my sleeve. Will you? 















No comments:

Post a Comment